I promised you something new. Today I have a guest blogger, author Wt Prater. After the interview you’ll find his author bio and links along with a blurb from his current work. Ladies and Gents, Wt Prater:
2. Tell us about your latest release: You want to know about orgasms? Oh, wait, not that kind of release. My latest is a short story called Exercising His Options, and it was my very first finished writing project to be submitted. And rejected. It is the story of Enver Mann, who one fateful day, as he’s jogging in the woods… Happens upon two men… one whom is having a release.
3. Describe your writing process: I write in what I call the “jigsaw” method. I write scene by scene, whatever comes to me first, and most passionately. Then I make a list of the scenes and put them in the order I want to tell the story in. I rework them to fit, adding or subtracting details as needed. I try to write something everyday, so sometimes, if I write a scene that totally doesn’t fit, I have a “random” folder I put it in, until I find a way to use it in some project or I’m ready to throw it out.
4. What do you like to read: I love reading anything fictional and especially GLBT oriented. I cross genres a lot, but I try to stay out of reading anything in the genre that I am currently writing. Unless it’s radically different from what I’m writing.
5. Who/what inspires you: I get inspired everyday, by everything. I love anything Joss Whedon, Stephen King, Shonda Rhimes, Augusten Burroughs, Ryan Murphy, Micheal Thomas Ford, or Amy Sherman Palladino. I watch a lot of TV, and gobble up great dialogue like (insert over used metaphor here).
6. Where do you see your writing in five years: In five years, I want to be able to write for a living. That is, actually make enough to take care of the bills, me and my wife, and maybe my convention appearances. I want to build my name up, and bring M/M writing into mainstream as a “more honorable” art.
7. Do you use beta readers? critique groups? I use both as much as possible. I try to make sure that anything I put out there to the world has gone through at least ten betas. And I just joined a crit group to elevate my writing even more. Every person who reads my stuff is investing in me. I want to make sure they are getting my best.
8. What are you working on next: I have a ton of works in progress (WIPs). I’m not kidding. I have no less than thirty projects I could step into next. But I’m ready to have a couple novels out there. So I’m stepping toward that. My next project is finishing a novella to my story, The Missing Pieces, which is coming out in August. And then I will focus on furthering Enver, Kurt, and Deanna’s story, which I want to complete by the end of September. I’m also 16k into a vampire-paranormal book that I plan to be my first series, so yeah, I’m cooking up some delicious delectations.
9. Why do you think there is a large heterosexual audience for LGBT books: I think that we are entering a new phase of sexuality and beginning to understand that we don’t have to be labeled as one thing. We are all a plethora of experiences, love, sex, and pain. We don’t have to limit ourselves to just one genre, one title, one race, or one gender. And we don’t have to do that to any of our relationships anymore either.
10. Why do you write LGBT: Simple. I wanted to see more of a reflection of myself in what I read and I was told to write what I wanted to read. See, i follow advice. Sometimes.
EXCERPT from Exercising His Options
As Enver Mann looked at Kurt’s hair caught in the wind, and the freckles on the back of his neck that disappeared somewhere into his jacket, Enver wanted nothing more than for this man to lay him down and kiss him. All of course while he was fucking him as hard as he could. The breeze continued to blow the leaves up and around, creating still more of the tornado like shapes. As the sun continued to peek out of the sky, from behind a cloud, Enver noticed that it now set its gentle light on some places while leaving some spots completely dark. He looked at Kurt again and saw that the light bounced from his copper hair to his now sweaty shirt. For the first time that he could remember in his life, his mouth actually watered for a sexual act. Thinking of that tender flesh, and the taste he had been yearning for since he had first seen Kurt, he got even harder. Every dream and desire for the last week or so had all involved this man, in some form or fashion. His wife made sure of that.
Wt Prater is a writer, having four short stories in various states of publishing, and approximately thirty works in progress. Just Write and SO Gay is his blog, which he strives to update weekly. He is a producer and host on Blog Talk Radio, partnering with Marketing for Romance Writers of which he helps lead. He is also an Assistant Organizer of the Nashville Writer’s Group. Online, he has active social networking on Facebook, Twitter, Fetlife, Linked In, Tumbler, Goodreads, and Meet Up. In real life, he stays just as busy bouncing around in his non-profit volunteering from the GLBT community to the BDSM community to church community.